Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Last Saturday was a day of irritation and stress, interspersed with short bursts of knitty goodness. Knitflicks at the Ritzy was showing The Devil Wears Prada, and since my trips south of the river are not as frequent as they used to be, I decided to combine a visit to Stash Yarns to pick up some more malabrigo pure merino for Cozy (progress report to follow in next post).

After a tortuous drive, due to 1) a dreadful standstill at the Wandsworth one-way-system and 2) road works in Putney, I was not in the best of moods when I finally arrived at the shop, but my mood lifted as soon as I stepped through the door. Luckily, I had phoned ahead to make sure the malabrigo was there, so there was no disappointment on that front, and a little chat with Michelle, the shop's owner, and a look at the new (and older) yarns made for a very pleasant and calming 45 minutes. Pictures of purchases to follow.

Unfortunately, there was no way I could avoid the road works traffic and it took me just under an hour to get to Brixton. The programme had already started, and the box office closed when I arrived at the cinema. I know I was in an irritable mood and probably over-sensitive to the minutes ticking by, but you know Mr Cinema Manager, in order for the public to see films, they have to buy tickets, and get this for a novel idea, for them to buy tickets, the ticket office has to be OPEN, dammit. Whilst I screamed silently, other people waiting were more vocal and eventually the duty manager opened up the office.

Miraculously, the film had not yet started, hoorah. I chose a seat and sat down, then a minute later, moved again, and again a third time. The screen for the showing was small, with dreadfully uncomfortable (through age and much use) and dirty, ripped seats. It was certainly not conducive to knitting. Worse still, it was half-term, and in the front row were three pre-teens, who walked and talked throughout the film.

All in all, the experience was nothing like the usual at the Ritzy. As for the film, it wasn't the satirical look at the fashion industry I'd been expecting, but thoroughly entertaining nonetheless. I loved every minute of it, and the clothes, ohmigod, the clothes...........

After the film, I braved more bad traffic to get to I Knit London. I wanted to see the Cherry Tree Hill supersock they had recently got in store, buy a few things for my secret pal and then relax in the shop and perhaps sew a few blue squares together. In the end I only bought a set of dpns and the first issue of Yarn Forward. I'd forgotten that Gerard and Craig were in Bracknell for the Unravel festival, but got to meet Stefan instead, who was just as helpful and charming as the boys, if in somewhat odd attire. While I was there, a lady came in to learn how to knit for the baby she was expecting, how cool is it that she felt that she could walk in and ask to learn? When I left the shop, she had needles and yarn in her hand and was looking very happy.

So I headed back north of the river. In total I’d driven about four hours but very few miles. Before going home and closing the door on the world, I stopped at my local, where over an excellent Thai red curry and a large glass of pinot grigio, I finally relaxed and read Yarn Forward. It's had rave reviews from bloggers so far, so I'll reserve my thoughts for another post.

No comments: