Thursday, March 29, 2007

There is currently much debate on a certain knitting list about the niceties of naming and shaming bad suppliers (dear reader, if you're in the UK, you'll know what I am talking about). The topic has been hotly argued from both sides, with terms such as libel and freedom of speech looming large.

My observations:

1) I have dealt with a number of online suppliers (as well as bricks-and mortar shops) in the UK. Of these, there are two where I have not only experienced poor service but shockingly bad customer relations. I am full of admiration for those brave enough to start their own business, but I will NOT accept lies, misleading information or refusal to communicate. Your poor attitude repels me and ensures I never consider buying from you again.

2) Without wanting to perpetuate the stereotype, knitters and other crafters are positive-minded, supportive people. Our tolerance levels are high. Frankly, I am amazed that it has taken this long for this subject to be discussed in an open forum. But, surely the fact that a significant number of said knitters have voiced their opinions, and thereafter defended their right to do so, surely this is indicative of the extreme and unacceptable frustration felt and the seriousness and longevity of the problem. I am not for one moment advocating rudeness or personal attacks, but factual representation of the position can only help suppliers and customers alike and hopefully identify the steps necessary to improve the situation.

3) I have no desire to give airtime to rubbish suppliers, instead I'd like to list my favourites:

The Woolly Workshop
Laughing Hens
Web of Wool
Get Knitted
Posh Yarns
K1 Yarns

Each of these sites offers a different product, has its own individual identity and outlook, and each is run by talented, hard-working women. Against the backdrop of angry emails and subsequent reprimands, I searched online at the weekend for a particular sock yarn, ordered it from Web of Wool on Saturday, received an order confirmation the same day, a despatch email on Monday and came home on Tuesday to a delightful package. From online search to cast-on = three days (including the weekend).

This is Regia Mini Ringel in 5220 (green and blue), on new bamboo DPNs for socks for B.

In other knitty news, I still have some FOs to show you, but it's all about finding the time to block, photograph (in the right light, heh), and upload. In the meantime, in addition to the Regia socks, I have experimented with some of the patterns from Victorian Lace Today, cast on
Eunny's Print o' the Wave stole in tacking thread Jaggerspun Zephyr and Cookie A's Hedera socks in PY Lucia. I'll post about these properly when there is something more substantial to show!

I have also joined Sundara's
Petal Collection. There are a lot of sock clubs about, but I love the look of this one, and I'm so looking forward to the first lot of sock yarn.

1 comment:

Trudie said...

I've only just read this post, and just wanted to let you know how happy I am that you felt you could recommend us at Posh Yarn. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the importance of impeccable customer service for online retailers (even more important for us than for bricks and mortar shops, in my opinion, since all online trading is a matter of trust), and we do work hard to try to ensure that we have 100% customer satisfaction, so its awfully nice to have that recognised. Thank you!