Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cool Aunt Phoebe

This week I've been looking at baby patterns for some charity knitting, and wishing someone close to me would have a baby, just so I could knit them something lovely. Wishful thinking of course, seeing as my generation of friends and family either already have children or are unlikely now to have any.

And then last night, I was having dinner with S, and she told me she was pregnant. Absolutely extraordinary timing, and so completely unexpected.


Congratulations S and A! I'm going to be an aunty!* Baby is due in the new year, so it's early days, and I'm the only one in the family who knows for now, but I CANNOT wait till this marvellous news is out, it will impact the family in ways I cannot even attempt to describe here.

And of course, the knitting opportunities! Mum-to-be has told me to knit away and I've already been scouring the web for the best baby pattern books!

* You know that scene in Friends, where pregnant Phoebe is having the mood swings, and the girls tell her that she gets to be cool Aunt Phoebe! That will be me, cool Aunty Elly.

5 comments:

Tarilyn said...

Congrats on your future Auntie status! The only baby thing I ever knit was Kate from Knitty, but Debbie Bliss has some adorable patterns!

PS - Your banner looks very classy. I just love the daisies!

Gerard said...

congratulations! I, too, can not wait to be the cold aunty! ot rather the cool gay uncle, which is obviously the same.
If you need to knit kids stuff my sister will knock one out early Aug and I've been awful and only done a couple of things!
Gxx

Gerard said...

shit, was supposed to say cool aunty. NOT cold aunty! what would Freud say?

Piglottie said...

Congratulations! And oh what fun to have little things to knit. Agree Debbie Bliss has some wonderful patterns, as do Rowan and there's a couple of cuties in SnB. :)

dominiqueknitting said...

thanks for the comment on my blog, and congrats on the auntie thing. Have you seen the phildar books ? They have the cutest baby patterns, and I think they are available in English too ! www.phildar.fr
Love your POW - might be my next project