Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Stairway to heaven

A very depressing day at work - I could have done with a glass of wine and chat at Angelknits tonight, but had to forego the pleasure and come home to do (unrelated) stuff. All the way home, my mind was going over the events of the day, and preparing myself for the not so nice evening ahead. I think I was muttering to myself as I climbed the stairs to my flat.........

....... to find a parcel propped against the door - my Web of Wool sock starter kit had arrived! (So quick too, how fab are they?)

It sounds daft, but this wonderful surprise completely elevated my mood, I think I might even have let out a cry. I didn't open it straight away, just concentrated on stuff for the next hour, had a lovely shower, then sat down with my goodies. I had ordered the yarn and kit myself, but, what with this being my first sock, didn't know what to expect. Inside was a ball of Opal yarn, a pattern, a leaflet about Woolfest and five tiny needles. So I cast on.


One and a half hours later (half of BB6 and Lost), I had only knitted two rows of the rib. It's sooo hard handling four needles and goodness only knows what the fifth is for. Socks 101 says that eventually you find a comfortable way without the needles stabbing you in the palm, but quite frankly I'm surprised I didn't lose an eye tonight. But I am sooo enjoying it. I can see that what I am doing at the moment isn't particularly complicated, but it's all new and challenging enough to keep me very, very happy.

Update at 1:22 am
Knitting more quickly now, although still fiddly and still on the rib. I also know what the fifth needle is for - picking up those pesky dropped stitches! *smile*