Friday, June 30, 2006

No posting for a couple of weeks............ been remarkably busy. Here's a quick catch-up:

1) A visit to Bath to watch Somerset v Middlesex.
My only experience of cricket so far has been trips to Lords. Bath couldn't have been more different: smaller obviously, which gives the whole experience a more informal feel. Jon introduced me to the tradition of going on to the pitch during lunch, where children played cricket with their dads and men stood admiring the wicket. Apparently, you could do this at Lords up until about ten years ago.

Jon had prepared a wonderful picnic, and during the game, I did my bit for KIP and worked on Marlowe (which Jon found very amusing). When it got a little chilly, I tried to get him to put the finished back around his neck and shoulders, but he was too embarrassed. After the match, we walked around the beautiful city centre, and then drove through the surrounding picturesque countryside.

2) A trip to
Lords to watch Middlesex v Surrey. Packed ground, lots of silver-haired gentlemen in blazers, completely different atmosphere. Always very amusing to watch a certain contingent attempt a Mexican wave, which is never really taken up by the majority anyway, and which completely dies when it reaches the members' enclosure, where half the blazers are asleep and the other half resolutely sit with their arms crossed, scowling at the riff-raff allowed in these days

3) Lunch with Jon at the White Hart in Chalfont St Peter. Perfect pub with a restaurant and garden at the back and really amazing food. Consistently award-winning.

Consequently, I have been neglecting my sock knitting. I picked it up again earlier in the week, and got as far as the instep, but lost concentration somewhere and am going to have to undo right back to the ankle. Only 10 days to the end of the Knitting World Cup and I haven't even finished the first sock. Anyway, here is a picture I took of it, before I turned the heel. (Apologies for poor picture quality.)

No comments: