Monday, August 21, 2006

FO - first socks

So it eventually occurred to me that a broken dpn did not mean the end of my sock knitting. [I've only been knitting for over thirty years, go figure.] I think it's because I'm such a novice when it comes to socks, and still dependant on rules Thou shalt need five needles for the heel rather than looking at the big picture.

But the knitting fairy waved her magic needle, and in a flash I realised (not without some embarrassment) that with the aid of some holding yarn through the unused stitches, I could work quite happily on the heel flap, then a judicious spread of stitches on three needles (hey, that's how it started, right?) meant I could turn the heel and shape the instep.

I had a lot of time on my hands last week, and I stormed through that second sock, STORMED I tell you, and tonight I finished and grafted the toe. My determination was fuelled by the desire for a FO, so that I could cast on the Lorna's Laces socks without guilt. Also, it was important for me to practice as much sock knitting as possible, to allow me at least a fighting chance in the upcoming Sock Wars.

I really loved making these socks. There is something incredibly satisfying in seeing tangible, practical yet pretty results in such a short time. In truth, there were times when knitting with four needles was awkward and fiddly, and Sock Number Two is not as perfect as its older brother and they could both do with being a little bigger, but this has been a huge learning curve for me and I am pleased as Punch with them (and with myself), and proud to add this skill to my repetoire. So, meine Damen und Herren, I present to you my First Socks.


Yarn: Opal Magic in purple
Needles: Schoeller & Stahl bamboo 2.5mm
Pattern: Simple top down sock pattern from Web of Wool.

No comments: