Thursday, August 10, 2006

I've been wanting to update on knitting progress for ages, but for some reason my camera and laptop are not speaking to each other, so while they sort out their differences, I shall have to give up loading pictures.

It's been too hot (and in so many other ways too difficult) to work on Marlowe, but I finished the last main piece at the last
I Knit London meet, and have started picking up the rib around the neck.

As [ahem] already mentioned, I failed my
Knitting World Cup challenge. I completed First Socks number one and cast on First Socks number two on the day of the actual final, but since then, progress has been slow, partly because I have broken one of my dpns and partly because ............

........... of a new project. After weeks of research on the internet, I had a short list of candidates for my next main project, and finally, one Saturday went to John Lewis to look at pattern books and compare yarns "in the flesh".

I don't know how I'd missed this before (probably because I usually switch off when it comes to the colour blue), but the moment I saw the ribbon-edged cardigan, in Debbie Bliss' Cathay, I knew she was the one. The pattern itself is simple without being boring, the cardigan looks stylish and the organza ribbon on the cuffs and edges adds a pretty detail. Better still, Cathay comes in the most beautiful dusky pink, a colour to fall in love with. Really, for one who agonises over yarn choice, it was an absolute no-brainer, and I had the yarn, book and needles in a large JL bag, before you could say "swatch". Of course, I simply couldn't wait till I got home, so, over an enormous cup of tea in Costa Coffee I tested my gauge. As usual, my square was too small (I am a very tight knitter), so I bought another set of needles (and more accessories) - not entirely sure why, as I DO HAVE needles at home. By the time I left John Lewis for the third and last time, I had spent four hours there and the staff and I had got to know each other rather well.


I'm generally not a big fan of knitting with cotton as it's less forgiving of imperfections, and this yarn has a tendency to twist, so actual knitting is interrupted too often by me having to untwist the yarn. But I am captivated by the colour and I just love the feel of this cotton/microfibre/silk mix as it moves through my fingers, it's like knitting with cream. Although the pattern is simple, after only 20 rows in, I was stumped by the positioning of the shaping decreases, resulting in me having to undo and redo the first five inches or so several times. I have searched the internet for other bloggers knitting the same pattern, but mostly came up with DB's baby cardigan in the same pattern. In the end, I fudged a solution, which although not perfect, is just about acceptable. Nevertheless, it's disheartening to encounter a problem right at the beginning, and I just hope I don't get to the end and suddenly realise my mistake!

Finally on the knitting front, coming back from our lovely break in Devon was bearable only because I knew a package from Get Knitted, would be waiting for me. My knitting goodies consisted of two lavender sachets, an organza bag, the Sock it to Me - Conversion Guide, two sock patterns (including that for My Oh So Beautiful Socks) and two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shephed Sock yarn in the purple club colourway. It is simply beautiful, and all I do is stare at it. I will post pictures as soon as technology allows me to!

No comments: