Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I am so sorry for the quality of the pictures in this post, but I'm still reliant on my mobile and I simply cannot wait for my camera to behave.

So, first up, on Friday evening I was in an area in South Oxfordshire I know very well, and somehow on my way home absent-mindedly missed my turning to London and got lost, and in my resulting attempt to find my way back to the M40, drove even further westwards (helloooooo?) and ended up in Oxford, drove through a red light (not intentionally!) and almost lost it at a crucial roundabout moment. Eventually I got back to London, drove to Ikea (thank heavens for midnight closing), with great will and determination made my way round the store without looking at any of the goodies, and only picked up what I really came for (you know how HARD that was) and like a blinkered horse made my way to the check-out, where with a sinking heart I realised that I had left my plastic in the car. And I was desperate for the loo. Really, it was a miserable evening.

I remember a time when you had to walk the entire Ikea store just to get out again; fortunately, times have changed and so has their attitude. The store at Neasden has recently undergone a massive restructuring (jeez, you can even take your trolley to your car), and I was able to nip out to the car park and back again to the queue in less time it takes to write about it. The staff were absolutely fantastic and I am very grateful to them.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant; I am just setting the picture. I want you to understand how fed up and tense I was when I finally arrived at home late Friday, to find a package at my door, the contents of which were:

I have long been lusting after the KnitPicks needles (and still am), but having followed the discussion on AngelForums, was convinced to try the Boyes and ordered them from Woolly Workshop on Wednesday, and received them on Friday. [Fantastic, top-notch service from Woolly Workshop.]

The next day I went shopping for (clothes, make-up, shoes, and) YARN.

I bought these for Stitchdiva's curlicue ruffle scarf, which I have been wanting to make ever since I first laid eyes on the funky pattern. There are three yarns of different weights and textures used in the scarf, and I agonised for weeks about the choice. Eventually, I bought two balls of KSH, one in Marmalade, one in Majestic (contrary to what the photo suggests). They aren't both destined for the scarf; I really fancy the idea of an orange scarf, but can't decide on the colour for the edging, whereas I know what I'm doing with purple, and as it happens, later that day, at I Knit London's new shop (more on that in a minute), I bought a skein of Araucania Natural Cotton in a dusky pink, which is actually one of the edging yarns used in one of the scarf's kits. I still have a third yarn to choose for the purple version, and still looking at options for the orange.

I'd also been looking to buy the 9mm 80cm circulars required, but in a rare coming together of wants and needs, that particular problem was solved by the Boyes order. So, am set to start the funky scarf.

Finally, a quick word about the newest LYS in London,
I Knit London, run by the indefatigable Gerard and Craig. I went (albeit late) to their opening day, to see the shop and marvel at their yarns. I also fondled a skein of sparkly yarn costing £30+, it was beautiful. Please visit them if you are in the area. Gerard and Craig are wonderful people, knowledgeable and charming, and they are working hard to make I Knit London a success.

No comments: