Sunday, September 10, 2006

I've never really had a stash, although my knitting basket has always contained balls of leftover yarn or one-offs bought for swatches. And because I've always concentrated on one project at a time, I have never accumulated yarn that doesn't get knitted into something straight away.

But recently, I can't stop starting new projects, and my current squeeze has been left in the cold while I flirt with these:

Stitchdiva's curlicue ruffle scarf.
After gushing over the pattern and yarn [in my last post], I cast on and knit a couple of rows. I have never used circular needles or knit with KSH, and I started the project in poor light, using only a side lamp. Suffice to say, I didn't enjoy the experience at all, and my initial enthusiasm quickly died. I still love the scarf and will definitely persevere (you gotta learn somehow, right?); I'm hoping that once I master KSH, a few presents could come out of this, but for now, this is on the back-burner.

My Oh So Beautiful Socks
A project of love. It started one warm evening after dinner at Chez Med, finishing a bottle of red in their covered outside area, when B held out his arms for me to wind Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn into a ball. I started the leg during shopping breaks last weekend, and took it to IKL's launch party. This is my travelling project, I knit it when B is driving, in the pub, standing in queues.

I love this yarn, it's so soft and so pretty, definitely my favourite sock yarn (haha, total experience to date = TWO). The pattern is simple to follow, and I think some presents could follow from this too.

Sock Wars
The arsenal (yarn and needles) has taken everyone by surprise: double knit and 3.5mm or size for gauge. Double knit? I confess I'm a bit disappointed by this because a) I had ordered a skein of cashmere/merino yarn from
Posh Yarns and had been looking forward to knitting this for someone; and b) socks will be finished more quickly, and although I fully expect to be out of the war in the first round, my actual knitting and involvement appears to be even less than I first thought. Oh well, it's still a fabulously fun idea, and I'm excited to be part of it.

Cozy
My first attempt at shawl knitting, more yarn shopping yesterday, details to follow in next post.

Finally, back to my older WIPs. Remember
DB's ribbon-edged cardigan [from now on to be called Ribbon]. As I've mentioned countless times before, I knit very tightly, but even with larger needles, I cannot get guage. A couple of weeks ago, I just felt that what I had knitted so far, was too small. So I frogged it. The resulting ball looked very sad.

I swatched again, but in the end decided to start again using the same needles as before, but trying to relax my tension. A few inches in, I am pretty happy with the result, it's just that I have so many other projects on the go, that I haven't got very far.


As for Marlowe, I still haven't done the neck edging. So near to completion, this is in danger of becoming a UFO.

I have six projects on the needles, and Christmas presents waiting in line. I know for some this is a pathetic number that they deal with on a daily basis. It is, however, too many for ME. So, I've decided not to buy any more yarn or start any new knits until two WIPs are finished. Hah!

Edited to add: um, I've just signed up for Secret Pal 9. I've been planning to for a while, and it involves more buying than actual knitting, so it doesn't count, right?

No comments: